WITKIN, EM and SICURELLA, NA (1964) PURE CLONES OF LACTOSE-NEGATIVE MUTANTS OBTAINED IN ESCHERICHIA COLI AFTER TREATMENT WITH 5-BROMOURACIL. J. Mol. Biol. 8:610-3
No abstract in PubMed
Main Points of the Paper
Please summarize the main points of the paper.
- Describes the introduction of mutations (by incorporation of 5BU into DNA) that results in cells unable to ferment lactose
- Sectoring phenotypes appear, indicative of the timing the mutation gets incorporated within a cell of a colony
Materials and Methods Used
Please list the materials and methods used in this paper (strains, plasmids, antibodies, etc).
- Parent strain: Z-15 (radiation-resistant, serine-requiring variant of the thymineless strain B3)
- 5-Bromouracil Mutagenesis (on plates)
- strain plated on 5BU completed 1 round of replication, whereby most of the thymine was replaced by 5BU
- strain plated on thymine (control) completed a normal round of DNA replication
- Bacto-eosin-methylene blue (EMB) indicator agar (for more information, click here)
- dark red colonies (lactose +)
- colorless colonies (lactose -)
- large sectors (lac- component originated at the center and constituted one-eighth or more the area of the colony)
- peripheral sectors
See Help:AnnotationTable for details on how to edit this table.
|Phenotype of||Taxon Information||Genotype Information (if known)||Condition Information||OMP ID||OMP Term Name||ECO ID||ECO Term Name||Notes||Status|
a mutation or genetic difference within a strain
loss of utilization of carbon-containing compound
in vivo assay evidence
Abolished utilization of carbon source lactose in mutant strain. See Table 1.
OMP: After carbon utilization terms get finialized, make sure OMP ID matches what is on here since it might change.
ECO: Terms for assays are awaiting implementation of solid and liquid child terms to each one. Experiment used EMB
See Help:References for how to manage references in OMPwiki.